Global antibiotics market is expected to reach to USD 67.25 Billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period 2019-2026. Rising incidences of infectious diseases and increasing collaborative development efforts are the two factors affecting the demand of the market.
Antibiotics, also known as antibacterial or antimicrobials, are defined as a group of medicines used in the treatment of infections caused by germs-bacteria and certain parasites by inhibiting the growth of microorganisms or killing them. After the discovery of the antibiotic penicillin in 1920, various antibiotic compounds have been used to treat several bacterial infections. It combats bacterial infections and occasionally protozoan infections. In addition, they are used to cure several diseases such as strep throat, urinary tract infections, sinus infections, pneumonia, skin infections, ear infections, and others.
- The base year for the study has been considered 2018, historic year 2017 and 2017, the forecast period considered is from 2019 to 2026. The antibiotics market is analysed on the basis of value (USD Billion) and volume (Thousand Units).
- The study delivers a comprehensive analysis of global antibiotics market by action, drug class, spectrum of activity, route of administration and regions.
- The report offers in-depth analysis of driving factors, opportunities, restraints, and challenges for gaining the key insight of the market. The report emphasizes on all the key trends that play a vital role in the enlargement of the market from 2019 to 2026.
- Porter’s Five Forces model is used in order to recognize the competitive scenario in the global antibiotics market. This report incorporates the industry analysis which is focused on providing an extensive view of the antibiotics market.
- The study also includes attractiveness analysis of action, drug class, spectrum of activity, route of administration and regions which are benchmarked based on their market size, growth rate and attractiveness in terms of present and future opportunity for understanding the future growth of the market.
- The report provides company profile of the key players operating in the antibiotics market and a comparative analysis based on their business overviews industry offering, segment market share, regional presence, business strategies, innovations, mergers & acquisitions, recent developments, joint venture, collaborations, partnerships, SWOT analysis, and key financial information.
- The market estimates have been evaluated by considering the effect of different political, economic, social, technological and legal factors which are based on our extensive secondary research, primary research, and in-house databases.
- Development of better and improved products
- Rising incidences of infectious diseases
- Increasing collaborative development efforts
- Uncertain regulatory policies
- High R & D cost
- Evolution of advanced molecules and novel combination therapies to treat antibiotic-resistant microbial infections is likely to spur market growth.
- Growing resistance to antibiotics
Global Antibiotics Market Key Findings:
All the segments have been analysed on global, regional and country basis. The study includes the analysis of more than 30 countries for each segment.
The antibiotics market is segmented on the basis of action, drug class, spectrum of activity and route of administration.
- The action segment is segmented into cell wall synthesis inhibitors, protein synthesis inhibitors, DNA synthesis inhibitors, RNA synthesis inhibitors and mycolic acid inhibitors. RNA synthesis inhibitors segment is growing with the highest CAGR of 6.1% in the forecast period. Adoption of several antiviral drugs inhibiting transcription and reverse transcription process are expected to promote the growth of the market.
- The drug class segment is segmented into cephalosporin, penicillin, fluoroquinolone, macrolides, carbapenem, aminoglycosides, sulfonamides, and other. The other antibiotics segment is anticipated to expand at the highest CAGR of 7.6% during the forecast year. The other antibiotics segment comprises of tetracyclines, imidazoles, lincosamides, and monoclonal antibodies. The development of monoclonal antibodies for individuals that have developed antibiotic-resistance is a vital component for the growth of this segment.
- The spectrum of activity segment is segmented into broad-spectrum antibiotic and narrow-spectrum antibiotic. The broad-spectrum antibiotic segment is dominating the market with the highest share of 59.90% in 2018. Broad-spectrum antibiotics act against a wide range of diseases, which in turn helps to combat antimicrobial resistance.
- The route of administration segment is segmented into oral, intravenous and others. The intravenous segment is dominating the market and valued around USD 23.77 Billion in 2018 due to rise in incidence of severe infections. Moreover, as intravenous antibiotics are administered in higher concentrations, they reach the tissues faster as compared to oral antibiotics.
Regional Segmentation Analysis:
The regions analysed for the market include North America, Europe, South America, Asia Pacific, and Middle East and Africa. North America region dominated the global antibiotics market with USD 19.24 Billion in 2018 where as the Asia Pacific region is growing rapidly in the market.
- North America region is dominating the market owing to the increased use of antibiotics. In addition, there is a rise in per capita health expenditure in the country, which is expected to increase over the forecast period, due to decrease in the unemployment rate.
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow rapidly owing to large population base, increasing instances of infectious diseases, regulation reforms, and greater usage of generic medicines.
Global Antibiotics Market Competitive Analysis:
Key players in the antibiotics market are Pfizer, Inc; Janssen Pharmaceuticals; Abbott laboratories; GlaxoSmithKline plc; Sanofi S.A.; Novartis AG; Bayer AG; Bristol Myers Squibb Company; Eli Lilly & Company, and Astellas Pharma, Inc, Allergan Plc, F.Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Merck & Co. Inc., Mylan N.V., Sanofi, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, Aurobindo Pharma, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Sun Pharmaceutical, Shionogi, among many others. For instance, In August 2016, Pfizer entered into an agreement with AstraZeneca to acquire the development and commercialization rights to its late-stage small molecule anti-infective business, mainly outside U.S.
*All our reports are customizable as per customer requirements
This study forecasts revenue and volume growth at global, regional, and country levels from 2016 to 2026. Fior Market Research has segmented the global antibiotics market on the basis of below mentioned segments:
Global Antibiotics Market, By Action:
- Cell Wall Synthesis Inhibitors
- Protein Synthesis Inhibitors
- DNA Synthesis Inhibitors
- RNA Synthesis Inhibitors
- Mycolic Acid Inhibitors
Global Antibiotics Market, By Drug Class:
Global Antibiotics Market, By Spectrum of Activity:
- Broad-spectrum Antibiotic
- Narrow-spectrum Antibiotic
Global Antibiotics Market, By Route of Administration:
Global Antibiotics Market, By Regions: